About the Neighbourhood
- The Lakeview Area traces its roots all the way back to 1904, when McCallum-Hill and Company purchased land outside city limits.
- When it was announced that an adjacent parcel of land was to be used to construct the Legislative building, the value of the land dramatically increased.
- The land purchased by McCallum-Hill and Co. was later subdivided that year, and became part of the city of Regina in 1911.
- Lakeview was seen as Regina’s “finest residential district” and many prominent residents began building large homes throughout the neighbourhood.
- In 1912, a municipal streetcar line was built that ran from Albert Street to 25th Ave.
- Building in Lakeview was “relatively slow and scattered” and the neighbourhood was not officially complete until the end of the 1960’s.
- This slow development has led to a diversity of housing styles.
- Although Lakeview is geographically defined as being bordering from Montague St. to the west, Albert St. to the east, Regina Ave. to the north, and 25 Avenue to the south; it also includes the small bedroom neighbourhoods of River Heights and Normandy Heights.
- Lakeview is well known for the character of its homes, its tree lined streets and close proximity to Wascana park.
- Lakeview has many parks and green spaces within the neighbourhood and is home to a par three golf course.
- Schools in the Lakeview Neighbourhood include: Argyle School, Lakeview School, Ecole St. Pius, and Sheldon-Williams Collegiate.
- 7,490 people call Lakeview home, and there are over 3200 private dwellings.
Information and photos from: “Regina Heritage Walking Tours: Eight Self-Guided Tours of Regina’s Built History” by The City of Regina